Dalton Primary School believes that Physical Education (PE), experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is essential to ensure children attain optimum physical and emotional development and good health. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical education and in developing life skills that will keep them active and healthy. We want to teach children skills to keep them safe such as being able to swim. We also want to teach children how to cooperate and collaborate with others as part of an effective team, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values. Our curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children at Dalton, not only through the sporting skills taught, but through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes.
- PE at Dalton Primary School provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including; invasion games, net & wall games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventurous activities.
- The PE curriculum map sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the years and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met and that progression is clear year on year.
- Pupils participate in high quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half term; one indoor based the other outside.
- Expert coaches come into the school every term to help teach the children and offer CPD to the staff at the same time. We have a dance specialist, a cricket specialist and tennis specialists working with the school every year.
- Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the local area and further if success dictates. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
- Year 6 children are invited to become Sports Leaders every year and develop into sporting role models for the younger children. They assist lunch-time clubs, our annual sports days and any other Sporting activities.
- Children in Year 5 swim once a week to ensure that by Year 6 they are all able to swim 20m and perform self-rescue.
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. From our lessons, our children learn to take responsibility for their own health, fitness and safety (particularly water safety) and many of whom also enjoy the success and disappointments of competitive sports. We equip our children with the necessary skills and a love for sport. They will hopefully grow up to live happy and healthy lives utilising the skills and knowledge acquired through the quality and enthusiasm with which PE is taught here at Dalton.
Take a look at some of our amazing work and classroom displays.