Applying for a Primary School Place
Children can start reception year at primary school from the September after their fourth birthday, by law children don't have to start school until the beginning of the term after their fifth birthday.
How to Apply
You can apply online for a school place in September 2021, between 1 September 2020 and 15 January 2021. If you apply after this date it can severely reduce your chances of obtaining a place at your preferred school.
Completing this form takes around 20 minutes
To complete this form you will need;
- A valid email address
- Your child(s) name and date of birth
- Your address
- The names of your first, second and third school preferences.
Please read the Guide for parents - primary school admissions before applying for your primary school place.
To apply please click on the links below:
Applying for Free School Meals
Children and young people who live in Kirklees can apply for free school meals if they:
- attend full time at a local authority school or sixth form
- are under 19 years of age
and their parents or carers receive one or more of the following:
- Universal Credit (provided you have an annual net earned income of no more than £7,400, as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods)
- Income support
- Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit, but are not entitled to a Working Tax Credit and your annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) is less than £16,190
- Support under Part V1 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
HOW TO APPLY
Fill in our simple online form.
Completing this form takes around 10 minutes
To complete this form you will need both you and your partner's National Insurance Number or NASS (National Asylum Support Service) number.
After you've applied
We are usually contacted within 48 hours to tell us the date your entitlement to free school meals will start from. You will also be sent a letter telling you the start date of your free school meal entitlement. This is usually received within 5 working days.
In exceptional cases
For instance, if you have had a recent change of income or circumstances, we will need confirmation of your new income. In this case, it may take up to 10 working days before you receive the letter about your child's entitlement.
We will contact you for further information if we need it.
Your application is anonymous
No one will know you have applied and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.